Ellenton, Gamble Plantation
Gamble Mansion and Plantation historical marker, obverse
Gamble Mansion and Plantation
At the close of the Seminole War in 1842, this frontier was opened to settlement. Major Robert Gamble and other sugar planters soon located along the rich Manatee River valley, and by 1845 a dozen plantatons were producing for the New Orleans market. The Gamble Mansion, built principally of native matreials, 1845-1850, is an outstanding example of ante-bellum construction and stands today as a monument to pioneer ingenuity and craftsmanship. The plantation included 3500 acres, numerous outbuildings, slave quarters, and wharf from which sugar and molasses were shipped by schooner and steamboat.
(See other side)
(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, February 2011)
Powered by zenPHOTO