Live Oak, Confederate Fort
Interpretive sign for steamboat machinery
SUWANNEE RIVER STEAMBOATS
From 1835 to 1901, steamboats carried passengers and goods from Cedar Key up the Suwannee River to Columbus, the terminal port for most trips. The whistle stops of steamboats, however, were gradually replaced by the clickety-clack of trains. All that remains today of these steamboats are rusting iron skeletons of their paddle-wheel shafts, like this one, which powered a small sidewheel vessel.
(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, March 2008)
Powered by zenPHOTO