Fort Walton Beach, CSA Camp Walton
Fort Walton historical marker
This historical marker is near the cannon at the Indian Temple Mound and Museum, and reads:
Originally called Camp Walton, this Confederate installation, constructed in 1861 to guard East Pass, was garrisoned by a company of Florida militia called the "Walton Guards." Several small skirmishes with federal landing parties occurred near here. The Camp was abandoned following the Confederate evacuation of Pensacola, and the garrison, a part of the First Florida Infantry Regiment, was assigned to duty on the Tennessee front in early 1862.
(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, May 2009)
Powered by zenPHOTO