7th Florida Infantry Regiment
Grounds of Old Polk County Courthouse
This is one of the few regimental markers in Florida, and commemorates Company E of the 7th Florida Infantry - the "South Florida Bulldogs" - that was raised in the vicinity and embarked for service outside of Florida from this spot. Like the 7th, most Florida troops spent the war on campaign outside of the state.
After training, the 7th Regiment was assigned to the Department of East Tennessee where it took part in the Battle of Richmond, Kentucky. Subsequent to this, the regiment became part of the Army of Tennessee, and took part in 1863 at the Battle of Chickamauga. In 1864 they participated in the grueling battles before Atlanta, the Battle of Atlanta, and the Atlanta Campaign, and late in the year in the Battle of Franklin, Tennessee. Their final battle was in early 1865, at Bentonville, North Carolina. They were surrendered a month later, on April 26, 1865, when General Joseph E. Johnston surrendered the Army of Tennessee.
This monument was erected by the General Evander McIver Law Camp of the Sons of Confederate Veterans and dedicated on July 3, 1982.