Monuments | Military Sites | Museum Exhibits | Civic and Civilian Sites | Soldier and Veteran Plots



In Memory of the Confederate Dead

Alachua County Courthouse grounds

On January 19, 1904, not too long after construction of a new courhouse for Alachua County in 1886, a striking Confederate monument was dedicated on the courthouse grounds by the United Daughters of the Confederacy.  In 1958 this historic building was replaced with another, and in 1962 an addition was added.  This classic monument now stands in stark contrast to architecture from another time.

This monument is one of the most unusual in Florida.  It has a bronze statue of a soldier standing at rest atop a granite base in the form of a castle tower.  Although not the largest, or most symbolically profound, it is without question one of the most unusual and striking.

The placeholders below will be replaced with our own photos in the near future, but by clicking on these you will find more information and also a link to another site that does have photos.

  • 1