Hillsborough County Courthouse
Historical marker reverse
[continued from obverse]
location in 1952 following completion of the new Hillsborough County Courthouse. In 1996, Hillsborough County collaborated with the National Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Property, Save our Sculpture, to assess the condition of this prominent sculpture. The County completed the thorough cleaning and conservation treatment, but did not restore the broken rifles in order to maintain the original integrity of the historic piece. The Confederate Battle Flag is depicted on the front of the work and the dates 1861 and 1865 refer to the beginning and edn of the War Between the States. The poem on the east side was written by Slater Bather Carlotta, a Roman Catholic nun, who was president of the Florida Division of the United Daughters of the Confederacy in 1911. The soldier facing north has been interpreted as the determined warrior facing the invader at the beginning of the war, while the heroic youth facing south is seen returnign home fromt he conflict in a tattered uniform, wounded but not forgotten.
Erected 1997 by the Tampa Historical Society; Tampa Chapter No. 113, United Daughters of the Confederacy; and James B. Hayward, Commander, John T. Lesley Camp No. 1281, Sons of Confederate Veterans.
(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, March 2009)
Powered by zenPHOTO